Wednesday 20 August 2014

Baku, Azerbaijan - Day 5-7

Hello everyone! Today I am back with my final instalment of the Baku holiday/photo spam.. I've crammed sorta 4 days in as I don't think I did enough in the last couple of days to do 2 separate posts so this is more of just a photo spam and a few comments here and there about what I did, I hope you guys don't mind! But for now, here are the last days of my time in Baku.

DAY 4 (more here)

These are some photos that I took on my phone as I just spent the day on the balcony - I just thought they were too nice not to put in!






DAY 5


Day 5 of my trip away consisted of me watching the Commonwealth Games (I know, what can I say, I'm from Scotland) however at night we went out to a fancy seafood place, to which I tried calamari and liked it.. However my Mum left out the key ingredient: OCTOPUS. I was like I JUST ATE OCTOPUS WHAT?! Still, it is nice.. Oh, I also had a burger. So original for a seafood place, right?


Dress - Forever 21

Yes, I am having a coke. And my face is shiny due to the 30 degree heat. However, later on I started having vodka and orange, which I forgot wouldn't be Smirnoff vodka, it would be pure Russian vodka.. Yeah. It was strong.






This is a statue of Nariman Narimanov who was a famous Azerbaijani revolutionary, writer, publicist, politician and statesman. Fancy, huh?

DAY 6

Day 6 consisted of going to the shopping market, which I didn't actually take pictures of but it was HUGE. I mean, about 15 miles-long warehouses huge. I came out with 2 scarves, a pair of sunglasses and a clutch - not bad! These photos below are the journey back from the warehouse.



I absolutely love this photo - the contrast of architecture in Baku is immense but every building is beautiful!



That's the largest flag in the world. Just wait until the close up photos.


That is what is going to be the gymnasium arena for the 2015 European Games!


It's big, huh? (that's what she said)




The Flame Towers in all their glory!





That's the beautiful pier right at the Caspian Sea (which is basically a massive lake)


That is a carpet museum. It's never been opened, but it's there. 

DAY 7

This was the last day, which consisted of mainly travelling home, however I do have some interesting things to show you! OoOoOoOo the suspense is killing you isn't it! No? Okay..






You may be wondering what this weird looking building is.. Well, it's actually a museum for the late President of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, who passed in 2003. What's so cool about the Heydar Aliyev Center though is if you look at it from above, it's Heydar's signature! So they have made a building and the shape and structure of it is his signature, which I just think is such a lovely and heartwarming thing - it's very sentimental, as everyone in Baku loved him. It's now been accredited as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world and it is now a must see attraction.



These buildings are where the athletes are going to stay in the 2015 European Games!



I think above that stadium is going to be used for the opening and closing ceremony of the 2015 European Games!


I'm pretty sure that's going to be the athletics stadium for the 2015 European Games.









AREN'T THEY SO COOL?! They are huge wooden pod thingys that are in the new Heydar Aliyev International Airport in Baku - they are going to become little shops and some are already open, with a coffee shop and spa on the go! I just thought they were so creative and so aesthetically pleasing!



And that's it. My Mum and I went home and my Dad stayed to work another couple of weeks, however he is home now for a week which is great. I really enjoyed writing these posts and showing you all the photos, as Baku isn't a place that anyone had really heard of before the Eurovision back in 2012. It truly is a beautiful place to visit and if you are in to architecture, you will love it. There are also mud volcanos (yes it is as terrifying as it sounds) and they have Gobustan National Park, which has caves and prehistoric drawings dating back 5000 years! I have been to both these places and if you would like to see photos, I'd be more than happy to make a post about it as it was truly fascinating to see!

I really hope you enjoyed reading my little Baku series and if again you'd like to see some more pictures of when I've been before, I'm more than happy to show you guys.

Have a lovely day, and don't stop smiling. :)

Hannah, xx

7 comments:

  1. What an absolutely magnificent place!

    http://distortedcuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post! I had never heard of Baku before, and now I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a lovely place, it's stunning! xxx

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post.
    I follow on Google + , hopefully you will follow me back. xoxo

    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Baku before but it looks lovely! Your hair and dress is so pretty!

    Beth x
    www.bethelouise.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, no one I know had either so don't worry! It's a beautiful city xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...